International Student Support

Finding & Renting Private Accomodations

1. Accommodation Charges

(1) Deposit Money
The deposit is paid to the landlord as security for any failure to pay the rent and so on. This is refunded when a tenant leaves the house, unless there is any previous neglect in paying the rent or damage to the room. The amount of money is equivalent to about 1 or 2 months' rent.

(2) Public Amenities Charges
The public amenities charge is sometimes included in the rent. If not, it covers the electricity and water supply charges for areas in common use such as electric, water sewer, garbage and cleaning charges.

(3) Key Money (non-refunnable)
Those renting a room in Japan generally pays a certain amount of money to the landlord as a gratuity. The amount of money is equivalent to about 2 months' rent.

(4) Real Estate Agent's Fee
The fee is paid to the real estate agents as a brokerage fee. The amount of money is equivalent to about 1 months' rent.

2. Pointers to note on finding private apartments

When looking for an apartment, we recommend that your guarantor, your Japanese friends, or your tutor, should accompany you. The number of international students, who have problems or trouble with landlords or real estate agencies when they leave, is increasing.

Hiroshima University has, up until now, issued "Apartment Tenancy Guarantee Certificates" (ATGC) for international students and researchers who were having difficulties in trying to find a guarantor when moving into a private apartment.

From September 2016, after having made a contract with a guarantee company (for a fee), you can move into a private apartment without this certificate.

You can move into a private apartment without ATGC or guarantor after September 2016, please choose a guarantee company plan at an estate agency.

Those who have gotten ATGC before August 2016, You can use ATGC during you live in same room.

When you'll move to another apartment, you need to make contract with a guarantee company.

※Those who want to apply for Public Housing(Ken-ei or Shi-ei apartment) run by Hiroshima Prefecture or Higashi Hiroshima City.

When you move in Public Housing, you need to come up with 2 guarantors by the rule of Hiroshima Prefecture or Higashi Hiroshima City. Please be aware that you can NOT use ATGC or guarantee company either. If you want to apply for Public Housing, please confirm that you can ask 2 persons for guarantor or not.

3. Points to Note on Signing a Contract

(1) The contract for renting a room is effective for 2 years.

If you want to rent a room for only several months or one year, you should tell the renting period to real estate agency. Wen you leave the room before the contract period, you should pay penalty. It's common to pay penalty equivalent to one month rent in case you leave less than one year.

(2) More than two persons cannot live in the 1K rooms (a room plus a kitchen).

If you want to live with your family or friends, you should tell that to Hiroshima University Cooperative or real estate agent in advance.

4. Points to note after contracting

(1) It is needed to get permission from your landlord in advance when your friends stay at your room.

You should not make a noise and bother other residents when you invite your friends or etc to your room.

(2) No shoes are allowed indoors in Japan.

Keep the room clean, especially the kitchen. You should clean up the kitchen after cooking the oily dish.

(3) Garbage disposal

Municipalities collect household garbage, which is put out in the specified site on the specified day. The garbage must be separated into several categories such as burnable and unburnable. There are differences in the rules among municipalities, so you should ask to your landlord, caretaker, or neighbors.

5. Points to note on leaving

(1) You should inform your landlord one month before you leave the room.

If you leave the room without any advance notice, the landlord might charge penalty.

(2) You shoul leave the room in the same condition as when you moved in.

You must not leave your personal belongings such as furniture, bedclothes, dishes, bicycle and motorbike in the room. You should dispose of them by yourselves before leaving the room.