International Student Support

Student Insurance Information

"Comprehensive Insurance for Student Lives Coupled with *PAS for international Students"

*PAS: Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research (Hiroshima University bears the premium of PAS for all students. This comprehensive insurance is incidental to PAS.)

In the past few years, there have been cases where students were claimed to pay high compensation for bicycle accidents and property damages.

On our campus, accidents such as minor collision between cyclists and pedestrians, laptop damages by accidentally pouring water on it, etc. are increasing as well.

In these cases, students were claimed extremely high compensation for their faults.

In order to protect yourselves from troubles like these while studying on HU campus,

it is mandatory for all international students to purchase this insurance. (Individual payment)


A type (Liability Insurance)

The insurance policyholder is insured from the risks of liabilities for causing injury to a third party or causing damages to the property belonging to a third party due to an accident in his/her daily/campus life.

*Note: Not applicable to accidents involving cars and motorcycles (including mopeds)

B type (Liability Insurance + Medical Treatment Benefit)

In the case where the student himself/herself is treated or hospitalized for 1 day or more due to an illness or injury in Japan, the self-pay burden will be covered.

But not the amount covered by the National Health Insurance.

*Exception: Dental treatment and psychiatrist treatment/hospitalization will not be covered.

Be sure to purchase either "A type" or "B type".

Information of "Comprehensive Insurance for Student Lives Coupled with *PAS for international Students" is "HERE (PDF)".

For more details, please refer to "HERE".

"Comprehensive Renters' Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan" (for residents of Sun-square Higashi-Hiroshima)


International students who sign up to the HU apartment tenancy guarantee system* are qualified for the Comprehensive Renters' Insurance for Foreign Student Studying in Japan.


This is comprised of overseas travel insurance and a guarantors' protection fund: it covers matters such as compensation to landlords for damages due to fire or water leakage, compensation to others for damages due to an accident in daily/school life, and protection for guarantors who suffer an economic loss due to making rent or other payments on behalf of the student.


*The HU apartment tenancy guarantee system: A support system for international sutdents who need a guarantor when signing a residential agreement. Registration for this system was closed in September 2016, except for the residents of Sun-square Higashi-Hiroshima.


Insurance Premium: 4,000 yen per year