International Student Support

If you are considering working part-time...

International students are not allowed to work for a living. However, you can receive permission from the Immigration Bureau to hold a part-time job to a degree which does not interfere with your study or research. Before you start working, you must apply for Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the status of Residence Previously Granted (Shikakugai Katsudokyoka).

<Permissible Working Hours> Up to 28 hours per week
During long vacations (Spring, Summer, Winter and End-of Academic-Year), students are allowed to work for up to 8 hours per day (up to 40 hours per week).

Reverse side of the residence card (Sample)

Sticker in the passport (Sample)

―How to apply―

●A member of the Global Exchange Group is assigned to submit applications on your behalf at the Immigration Bureau 4 times a year.
Where to apply : Higashi-Hiroshima Campus: Global Exchange Group (Student Plaza 3rd Floor)

Documents to be submitted :
Application form
Passport (Original)
Residence Card (Original)

The application period will be announced through the Student Support Office of each School/Graduate School and the Momiji notice board, etc.

●You can also submit your application directly to the Immigration Bureau. You will receive permission in one day.

Documents to be submitted :
Application form
Passport (Original)
Residence Card (Original)

*As of July 1st 2010, you do not have to apply for Work Permit, if you are going to work as a TA or RA etc. within Hiroshima University.



<Main Notes>

*Working at questionable establishments such as bars, clubs, hostess clubs, etc (including cleaning and washing dishes) will not be permitted.

*In addition, the work permit has a time limit. When the period of your "student" visa expires, your work permission also expires. Each time you apply for permission to extend the period of your stay you must re-apply for work permission.

*Should you receive salary or payments for work done without a Work Permit, you will be subject to fines of up to 2 million yen.

*You are prohibited from engaging in part-time work if you leave the university for reasons such as a leave of absence.


Before engaging in activities outside of your status of residence, such as part-time work or internships,

check the checklist for precautions you should take. ⇒ Checklist before engaging in part-time work/internships


Application form for Work Permit ⇒ Here